Wednesday, June 8, 2011

3. The Jacket

80 degrees (excuse me, 27°C) and not a cloud in the sky. It’s the perfect weather for my sundress and (thankfully European-looking) espadrilles, and yet I feel almost naked next to the women who pass me on the streets. After 3 days of this, I have come to realize why I feel so terribly underdressed. I lack the Jacket.
The Jacket is without doubt a necessity. Even in weather that makes me think longingly of swimsuits and crop tops, all (and I mean ALL) women over the age of fourteen seem to follow this innate rule: rain or shine, hot or cold, N’OUBLIEZ PAS LA VESTE. Blazers and short linen coats prevail, with the smattering of leather (making me smack myself for not bringing mine).
Luckily, this seems to be a current trend as well as a more general cultural rule (overdressing for the heat seems to be a theme in France—I can’t help but question a blazer and long pants AND a scarf in the summer). And being right around the corner from Zara and a plethora of other equally dangerous magazins, I have no doubt I too will soon n’oublie pas ma veste, even when I would rather eat sorbet in an ice bath to keep from overheating.
So when travelling in France, forget your scarves, ladies. In order to truly “fit”, Lyon demands the Jacket. Just don’t forget that extra layer of deodorant for when the heat hits.